Tech Trade Snapshot 2018

U.S. information technology exports of products and services reached an estimated $322 billion in 2017, an increase of 3.1 percent over the previous year. Tech is one of the largest sectors for exports in the U.S. economy. Exports account for approximately $1 out of every $4 generated in the U.S. tech industry. For many tech bellwethers, exports account for an even higher percentage of sales, with some generating more than half of their revenue overseas.

Nationally, tech exports directly supported over 800,000 jobs in 2016, the most recent year of available data. Tech product exports accounted for the majority of these jobs (70 percent), with tech services the remainder (30 percent).

Largest state exporters of tech products:

  1. Texas
  2. California
  3. Florida
  4. Oregon
  5. Illinois

Largest state exporters of tech services:

  1. California
  2. Washington
  3. Massachusetts
  4. New York
  5. Texas