U.S. information technology exports reached an estimated $338 billion in 2018, an increase of 2.5 percent over the previous year. Growth slowed slightly compared to the 2017 rate of 4.5 percent. Since 2010, U.S. exports of technology added nearly $65 billion in new earnings and aggregate growth of 23 percent.
U.S. technology exports directly supported an estimated 858,000 American jobs in 2017, the most recent year of available data. During that time period, export-supported jobs grew by 43,000 positions, an increase of 5.2 percent year-over-year.
Tech goods account for 68 percent of exports-supported jobs, while tech services account for the remaining 32 percent. Tech services exports boosted employment in the U.S. by 23,000 jobs, a growth rate of 9 percent; in comparison, tech goods exports added 19,667 new jobs for a growth rate of 3.5 percent.